Summary & Schedule
VMware VSphere: Optimize And Scale [V6] Course Information
Course Length: 5 Days
VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale is designed for experienced VMware vSphere users. It teaches advanced skills for configuring and maintaining a highly available and scalable virtual infrastructure. Through a mix of lecture and hands-on labs, you will configure and optimize the vSphere features that build a foundation for a truly scalable infrastructure and discuss when and where these features have the greatest effect. Anyone who is ready to take their understanding of vSphere to a deeper level and learn how to use advanced features and controls will greatly benefit from this course.
The course is based on VMware ESXi 6 and VMware vCenter Server 6.
Note: This course is based on beta software.
- Configure and manage ESXi networking and storage for a large and sophisticated enterprise
- Manage changes to the vSphere environment
- Optimize the performance of all vSphere components
- Harden the vSphere environment against security threats
- Troubleshoot operational faults and identify their root causes
- Use VMware vSphere ESXi Shell and VMware vSphere Management Assistant to manage vSphere
- Use VMware vSphere Auto Deploy to provision ESXi hosts
Completion of one of the following courses:
- VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [5.5 or 6]
- VMware vSphere: Fast Track
Or equivalent knowledge and administration experience with ESXi and vCenter Server
Experience working at the command prompt is highly recommended.
- Experienced system administrators
- Systems engineers
- System integrators
Sample VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V6] Course Outline
Lesson 1: Course Introduction
- Introductions and course logistics
- Course objectives
- Additional resources
Lesson 2 :VMware Management Resources
- Understand the purpose of VMware vSphere Command-Line Interface commands
- Discuss options for running vSphere CLI commands
- Deploy and configure vSphere Management Assistant
- Use vmware-cmd for virtual machine operations
Lesson 3: vSphere Security
- Describe the features and benefits of the Platform Services Controller
- Configure ESXi host access and authorization
- Secure ESXi, vCenter Server, and virtual machines
Lesson 4: Performance in a Virtualized Environment
- Review the vSphere performance troubleshooting methodology
- Explain software and hardware virtualization techniques and their effects on performance
- Use vSphere performance monitoring tools
Lesson 5: Network Scalability
- Create, configure, and manage vSphere distributed switches
- Migrate virtual machines from standard switches to distributed switches
- Explain distributed switch features such as port mirroring, LACP, QoS tagging, and NetFlow
Lesson 6: Network Performance Troubleshooting
- Explain the performance features of network adapters
- Explain the performance features of vSphere networking
- Monitor key network performance metrics
- Use vSphere Management Assistant to manage virtual network configurations
- Troubleshoot common network performance problems
Lesson 7: Storage Scalability
- Explain vSphere storage APIs for array integration and storage awareness
- Configure and assign virtual machine storage policies
- Configure VMware vSphere Storage DRS and VMware vSphere Storage I/O Control
- Create and use virtual volumes in vSphere
Lesson 8: Storage Optimization
- Diagnose storage access problems
- Configure VMware vSphere Flash Read Cache
- Monitor key storage performance metrics
- Troubleshoot common storage performance problems
Lesson 9: CPU Performance
- Explain the CPU scheduler operation, NUMA support, and other features that affect CPU performance
- Monitor key CPU performance metrics
- Troubleshoot common CPU performance problems
Lesson 10: Memory Performance
- Explain ballooning, memory compression, and host swapping techniques for memory reclamation when memory is overcommitted
- Monitor key memory performance metrics
- Troubleshoot common memory performance problems
Lesson 11: Virtual Machine and Cluster Optimization
- Describe guidelines for optimizing virtual machine configuration
- Discuss how vGPU usage affects virtual machine performance
- Discuss guidelines for using resource allocation settings
- Discuss guidelines for using resource pools
- Discuss guidelines for using vSphere DRS clusters
- Troubleshoot common vSphere cluster problems
Lesson 12: Host and Management Scalability
- Describe and use host profiles
- Define and use content libraries
- Upgrade ESXi and vCenter Server instances
- Use VMware vSphere PowerCLI
- Use Virtual Machine Converter
- Use VMware vSphere ESXi Image Builder CLI and vSphere Auto Deploy
VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V6] Certification Information
VMware Certified Professional – Datacenter Virtualization (VCP6-DCV) and VMware Certified Advanced Professional – Data Center Administration (VCAP6-DCA)
As the demand for IT professionals with datacenter virtualization skills increases, it is essential to distinguish yourself in the market with a certification that validates your technical capabilities. Becoming a VMware Certified Professional does just that.
This industry-recognized certification requires completion of a VMware-authorized training course and hands-on experience with VMware technologies. Achieving the VCP certification confirms that you have the education needed to successfully install, deploy, scale and manage VMware vSphere environments, as well as the skills obtained by a minimum of six months experience with VMware infrastructure technologies.
VMware Certified Professional – Datacenter Virtualization (on vSphere 6)
Become a VCP6-DCV
There are different paths to VCP6-DCV certification based on your background. Choose your path and complete the three core validation components:
- Attend a qualifying VMware authorized course
- Gain hands-on experience with VMware vSphere 6
- Pass the VCP6-DCV Exam
VMware Certified Advanced Professional – Data Center Administration
Become a VCAP6-DCA
Once you earn VMware Certified Professional 6 (VCP6) status you are eligible to pursue the intermediate level certification: VMware Certified Advanced Professional (VCAP) – Datacenter Administration (DCA). This certification is appropriate for VCP6s that are ready to further enhance their skills with the virtual infrastructure and add new, industry-recognized credentials to their list of accomplishments. VCAP is also a stepping stone to the prestigious VMware Certified Design Expert (VCDX) certification.
The VCAP6-DCA exam is a unique, lab-based exam where you will perform tasks using actual equipment to verify your skill at installing, configuring, and administering large and complex virtualized environments. Earning this certification demonstrates your expertise with VMware vSphere 6, as well as your ability to use automation tools and implement virtualized environments.
Achieving VCAP6-DCA certification confirms your ability to:
- Implement and manage storage and networking.
- Deploy DRS clusters and manage performance.
- Manage business continuity and protect data.
- Perform operational maintenance, advanced troubleshooting, scripting, and automation.
- Secure a vSphere environment.
The cost of the VMware Certified Professional – Datacenter Virtualization (VCP6-DCV) and VMware Certified Advanced Professional – Data Center Administration (VCAP6-DCA) certification is $575.00. Testing is available at authorized VMTraining testing centers throughout the world. Click here to purchase a certification exam voucher.